Postdoc positions available at UNICAMP – CLOSED
Purpose of the position
The Universidade Estadual de Campinas (UNICAMP) and the Universidade de São Paulo (USP) are world-class academic and research institutions based in Latin America. Research groups from these institutions have gathered to discover new innovative drugs for the treatment of tropical parasitic diseases in close collaboration with two leading international drug discovery organizations – Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative (DNDi) and Medicines for Malaria Venture (MMV) – both having a significant track record in discovering and developing novel drug treatments for neglected patients.
This consortium is supported by the Research Support Partnership Program for Technological Innovation (PITE-FAPESP). The major goals of this multidisciplinary team are (1) the delivery of high-quality preclinical candidates for the treatment of Chagas disease, leishmaniasis and malaria, and (2) to build a world class academic drug discovery center for tropical diseases in Latin America.
During 2021 the team will significantly expand its activities, based on previous successful collaborations.
Specific job responsibilities
- The selected postdoctoral researchers will be responsible for the design of target molecules and synthetic routes, working on chemical series provided by DNDi and MMV, then carry out the synthesis in the laboratory.
- 2 (two) highly qualified FAPESP postdoctoral fellows with extensive experience in organic synthesis, preferably applied to medicinal chemistry, to join the drug discovery consortium at UNICAMP, Campinas, São Paulo, under the supervision of Prof. Luiz Carlos Dias.
Successful candidates are expected to play a leading role within the drug discovery project and liaise closely with other drug discovery scientists (e.g. medicinal chemistry, parasitology, DMPK, safety, formulation), contributing to the overall project team. These roles offer opportunities to work in close collaboration with leading drug discovery scientists in academia and industry.
Skills and attributes
Necessary documents: letter of interest, current CV including published papers attesting the capacity to carry out the project, and 2 letters of recommendation.
- PhD or equivalent degree in chemistry, medicinal chemistry, organic synthesis, pharmacy. Candidates must have obtained the degree within the last 7 (seven) years.
- Outstanding record of scientific achievements as evidenced by publications, patents
- Demonstrated international experience and ability to work within multidisciplinary teams. For Brazilians, previous experience in research laboratories abroad for more than 8 months is a particularly important requirement for Fapesp.
- Good communication skills in English, both written and spoken.
- Previous hands-on Medicinal Chemistry and Drug Discovery experience in academic or industrial setting.
FAPESP fellowships are competitive in the country and are granted for 24 months plus possible renewal for additional 12 months. The current tax-free monthly stipend is R$ 7.373,10, plus initial moving allowance. The vacancies are open to Brazilians and foreigners.
Applications can be submitted only by e-mail, with attached documentation in PDF format, until March 5th, 2021.
Please contact Prof. Luiz Carlos Dias (UNICAMP) (firstname.lastname@example.org).