Postdoc position available at UNICAMP
Purpose of the position
The Universidade Estadual de Campinas (UNICAMP) and the Universidade de São Paulo (USP) are world-class academic and research institutions based in Latin America. Research groups from these institutions have gathered to discover new innovative drugs for the treatment of tropical parasitic diseases in close collaboration with two leading international drug discovery organizations – Medicines for Malaria Venture (MMV) and Drugs for Neglected Diseases initiative (DNDi) – both having a significant track record in discovering and developing novel drug treatments for neglected patients.
This MINDI consortium (https://mindi.iqm.unicamp.br/) is supported by the Research Support Partnership Program for Technological Innovation (PITE-FAPESP, 15/50655-9). The major goals of this multidisciplinary team are (1) the delivery of high-quality preclinical candidates for the treatment of malaria and Chagas disease, and (2) to build a world class academic drug discovery center for tropical diseases in Latin America.
During 2022 the team will significantly expand its activities, based on previous successful collaborations.
Specific job responsibilities
The selected postdoctoral researcher will be responsible for the design of target molecules and synthetic routes, working on chemical series provided by MMV, then carry out the synthesis in the laboratory.
- 1 (one) highly qualified postdoctoral fellow with extensive experience in organic synthesis and medicinal chemistry, to join the drug discovery consortium at UNICAMP, Campinas, São Paulo, under the supervision of Prof. Luiz Carlos Dias.
Successful candidates are expected to play a leading role within the drug discovery project and liaise closely with other drug discovery scientists (e.g. medicinal chemistry, parasitology, DMPK, safety, formulation), contributing to the overall project team. These roles offer opportunities to work in close collaboration with leading drug discovery scientists in academia and industry.
- PhD or equivalent degree in chemistry, medicinal chemistry, organic synthesis, pharmacy. Candidates must have obtained the degree within the last 7 (seven) years.
- Outstanding record of scientific achievements as evidenced by publications, patents
- Demonstrated international experience and ability to work within multidisciplinary teams.
- Good communication skills in English, both written and spoken.
- Previous hands-on Medicinal Chemistry and Drug Discovery experience in academic or industrial setting.
The current tax-free monthly stipend is R$ 7.373,10, plus initial moving allowance. The vacancies are open to Brazilians and foreigners.
Applications can be submitted only by e-mail, with attached documentation in PDF format, until December 20th, 2021.
Please contact Prof. Luiz Carlos Dias (UNICAMP) (email@example.com).
Skills and attributes
Necessary documents: letter of interest, current CV including published papers attesting the capacity to carry out the project, and 2 letters of recommendation.